City of Maastricht/Maastricht region
Maastricht is an international city known for much more than the Maastricht Treaty – which has in 2017 it’s 25th anniversary – and the euro: 25% of its 122,500 residents are of foreign descent. A significant proportion of these are knowledge migrants, students, and expats employed at or related to the university and the many (European) institutions and internationally oriented companies that the city and region have to offer.
The city’s 9,600 businesses employ over 73,500 people in a predominantly knowledge-based and service-oriented economy. Located in the heart of the Euregion, with the cities of Aachen, Liège and Hasselt nearby, Maastricht distinguishes itself by offering a pleasant place to live, work and visit.
For the past few decades, Maastricht has conducted a policy of innovative urban renewal. Like a chameleon, we have adapted to the demands of the modern era while preserving the unique character and beauty of our city and the surrounding areas. Maastricht plans to further enhance its appeal in the years to come by investing € 1.5 billion in:
- implementing large-scale infrastructure projects, including the construction of a tunnel under the A2 and improvements to the Meuse traffic intersection;
- strengthening the economic vitality, innovative capacity and knowledge economy (Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus, Maastricht University, United World College, United Nations University;
- redeveloping existing business sites (new quays and trimodal access will be added to the Beatrixhaven, Steelport Maastricht);
- transforming the existing urban area by improving the residential environment including the addition of 2 new city parks.
- restructuring of old industrial areas into vibrant residential areas combined with retail, culture, leisure and modern businesses.
Despite these turbulent economic times, Maastricht has chosen to invest heavily in the quality of its city. Maastricht invites entrepreneurs and investors to discuss how we can continue to enhance the quality of our city.
Address: Postbus 1992
Visiting address: Mosae Forum 10, 6211 DW Maastricht, The Netherlands
City: 6201 BZ Maastricht
Country: The Netherlands
Phone: +31 43 350 40 40