Maastricht is an international city with a unique location in the heart of the Euregion and well connected by several highways and nearby airports.
The city with an eye-catching character and beauty, also in surrounding areas, is a home to 120.837 residents. About 31% of these residents are of foreign descent and many of them are related to the university and the many (European) institutions and internationally oriented companies that the city has to offer. The city’s 11.025 businesses employ over 75.225 people in a predominantly knowledge-based and service-oriented economy.
Despite turbulent economic times, Maastricht has chosen to invest heavily in the quality of its city. The city has conducted a policy of innovative urban renewal and plans to further enhance its appeal in the years to come by investing € 1.5 billion in:
- Implementing large-scale infrastructure projects, including the construction of a tunnel under the A2 and improvements to the Meuse traffic intersection and redevelopment of the A2 area and surrounding neighborhoods;
- Strengthening the economic vitality, innovative capacity and knowledge economy (Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus, Maastricht University, United World College, United Nations University);
- Redeveloping existing business sites (new quays and trimodal access will be added to the Beatrixhaven, Steelport Maastricht);
- Transforming the existing urban area by improving the residential environment including the addition of 2 new city parks.
- Restructuring of old industrial areas into vibrant residential areas combined with retail, culture, leisure and modern businesses.
- Light rail connection Maastricht (NL) – Hasselt (BE).
Maastricht invites entrepreneurs and investors to discuss how we can continue to enhance the quality of our city.
City of Maastricht
Mosae Forum 10
6211 DW Maastricht
+31 (0)43 350 40 40